Protecting your privacy
Curtin Heritage Living collects, stores, uses and distributes a range of information that is defined as both personal and sensitive by the Privacy Act 1988 and the supporting Australian Privacy Principle. We are committed to protecting the privacy of your information and this statement defines how we have implemented these Principles. We will take reasonable steps to protect the information we hold from misuse, interference, loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We will also take steps to ensure personal and sensitive information is accurate, complete and up to date and we will archive and/or dispose of all records securely when they are no longer needed.
Why do we collect personal and sensitive information?
Curtin Heritage Living collects, holds and uses personal and sensitive information, when it is reasonably necessary for us to have that information to help us plan and deliver safe and effective services for you. We may also use your personal information for quality assurance, reporting and service improvement purposes, however your identity will not be disclosed in these circumstances. You have the right not to provide personal or sensitive information, however withholding information might mean we are not able to satisfactorily fulfil our obligations to you.
What information do we collect?
We will only collect information that will assist us in providing you with quality services. The following information may be collected by us in relation to our residents or prospective residents:
- Your name and date of birth
- Your contact details
- Your previous and current medical history (including, where clinically relevant, a family medical history) and details of treatment and health services you have received
- Information about your healthcare, service and lifestyle preferences and wishes
- Information about other healthcare professionals and health service providers who are involved in your care
- Your attorney, guardian or other person(s) responsible for decisions about your healthcare or who are authorised to assist with decisions about the care and services you receive from us and others
- Details relevant to administering your payment arrangements such as your banking details, your pension entitlements and arrangements, and information regarding your income and assets
- Your Medicare number, health care card number and your entitlement to other benefits or subsidies. Where we have collected a government related identifier (such as your Medicare number), we will not adopt that identifier as our own identifier, and we will only use or disclose that identifier as required or permitted by law
The following information may be collected by us in relation to resident representatives:
- Your name and date of birth
- Your contact details
- Records of your interactions with us, including emails, letters, notes and in some cases, with the explicit consent of you, video or voice recordings
How do we collect information?
Our organisation will, where practicable, collect information directly from you (for example, when we have contact with you in person, over the phone, by email or via the internet).
- We may also collect personal information about you from third parties including:
- Your family members, a carer, an attorney, a guardian or a person responsible for your healthcare decisions;
- Other healthcare professionals and health service providers involved in your care;
- The Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) or other services which may have assessed your need for care or referred you to us for care; and
- Government agencies responsible for administering relevant entitlements and benefits (such as Centrelink, Medicare, Department of Health, Department of Social Services, Aged Care Complaints Commissioner, National Disability Insurance Agency, Department of Veterans’ Affairs, and other government agencies responsible for home care services)
If you are not able to give us this information yourself, we may need to collect it from someone else who is legally able to give the information to us. We will keep a record of the services we provide to you and will add new information to your record as required
How is your information stored and protected?
Curtin Heritage Living will record and update information about you in hard copy and electronic form. We will store this information securely. Where possible your information will be stored in Australia but on occasion, we may be required to store electronic information outside Australia. If we do this, we will take reasonable care to ensure that the overseas agency protects your personal information in a secure way. We have strict policies regarding who may see your personal information, including a Privacy and Confidentiality Policy and procedures around the dissemination, storage and disposal of documents which requires all staff and contractors to keep your personal information confidential.
Who else might have access to or receive information about you?
Curtin Heritage Living works closely with other agencies and contractors who help us facilitate and coordinate services and may give your information (by telephone, fax, email or hard copy) to:
- Government departments and agencies who provide us with funding;
- Emergency Services; (including ambulance, police, fire brigade) who may be called upon to assist during the delivery services;
- Assessment bodies;
- Other contracted organisations and businesses who may be called upon to assist us to plan, promote and deliver our services; and
- Any persons acting on our behalf, including professional advisors
Where Curtin Heritage Living provides your information to other agencies, we will ensure they hold privacy standards equivalent to our own. Curtin Heritage Living will not provide your information to any other organisation for the purposes of that organisation’s direct marketing
From time to time, we may contact you (by post, email, phone or SMS) to provide you with information about our services and other business partners that may be of interest to you. This includes information or services that can help improve your wellbeing. When you become our customer, you consent to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes (as described in this document) unless you have contacted us to withdraw your consent. If you do not wish to receive marketing material from us, you can contact us at any time to let us know
Access to and correction of your personal information
Under the Privacy Principles (subject to some exceptions), you have a right to access and copy personal information which Curtin Heritage Living holds about you. You also have a right to ask us to correct personal information which is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. If you would like access to your personal information held by or have a complaint about the way we manage your information, please put your request in writing and send it to: The Managing Director Curtin Heritage Living 40 Marine Parade Cottesloe WA 6011
Data Breach Notification
In the event your personal or sensitive information is lost or accessed by unauthorised parties, Curtin Heritage Living will determine the impact to you and will appropriately notify you and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner as soon as reasonably practical
Privacy and Security online
If you are unhappy with the way we handle your personal information
Would you like to know a little more? We invite you to call us on (08) 6458 7555 for a chat, or you can send us an email below. We look forward to hearing from you.